Homein regards toContact
Cookies and Privacy Policy
22/09/2021

Chocolate poisoning in dogs

Dogs are more sensitive to chocolate than humans. Half a bar of chocolate can already lead to fatal poisoning in dogs. The toxicity depends on the type of chocolate and the amount ingested.

Symptoms

Two to four hours after ingestion, the animal may show restlessness, vomiting and diarrhea. He urinates often, breathes faster, his heart beats faster, and he may have a fever. A few hours later, seizures and heart rhythm disturbances may occur. Poisoning can be fatal.

When to worry

Dark chocolate

If your dog has swallowed more than 10 grams of milk chocolate per kilogram of body weight (100 grams for a 10 kg dog, 200 grams for a 20 kg dog, ...)

Milk chocolate

If your dog has swallowed more than 10 grams of milk chocolate per kilogram of body weight (100 grams for a 10 kg dog, 200 grams for a 20 kg dog,…).

It is not necessary to intervene if the dog has taken less than the amounts listed above, or if he has eaten white chocolate. There is no antidote.

Processing

There is no antidote. Treatment is symptomatic. In case of recent ingestion (<2 h) and if there are no symptoms, induce vomiting.

Quickly contact 0475 / 71.99.45 if you have any doubts.

Article written by Vete.be

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2021 elleusiv.com
phonemenu